Motivational Gawking, Red Interiors, One Thing at a Time

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Motivational Gawking, Red Interiors, One Thing at a Time”.

Comments

1. For some reason, I’ve lately found myself drawn to citrus colors- oranges, lime greens and lemon yellows. What does it mean, what does it mean!?

2. This is a very timely post as we’re in process of doing some renovations on our home. It’s a small space, so many of the rooms “multitask.” Our living/dining room is probably the most under-used in the house, and I want to correct that and make it a comfortable and welcoming space. We’re hoping to incorporate a bit more color, both through wall color and accents.

• BigLittleWolf says:

I know most people don’t enjoy renovations, pseu, but I’ve always loved them! Been through it several times – so much to learn, so creative, and it makes you so much more appreciative of your space and all the skills required to reconfigure it. “Comfortable and welcoming.” Aren’t those the places we love to visit and never want to leave?

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

3. batticus says:

Watch the movie “The Sixth Sense” and notice the use of the colour red; a great movie that requires multiple viewings before you see everything that was there.

• BigLittleWolf says:

That is a surprising movie, batticus, but I don’t recall the use of red. (Will have to check it out.) Did you ever see Woody Allen’s Interiors? A terrific film, late 70s, not his usual. The design was stark and meticulous – the perfect reflection of the neuroses of the characters. (Dig out that film if you can. It’s a stunner.)

4. I’m definitely less effective when I multi-task in some areas, such as those that involve working out strategies or juggling numbers. But other things come naturally, like cooking multiple dishes in parallel in the kitchen, even if they have different cooking times, temperatures, and methods. I think the degree of success depends on the multi-tasker’s strengths (or weaknesses) and the particular tasks that need doing — and knowing how to combine them in ways that won’t lead to disaster :)

5. “Other images, Yours Truly”? A peek into the life of one D. A. Wolf? :-)

• BigLittleWolf says:

Eh oui… Et si vous faites attention, il y en a d’autres… surtout l’art… ici et là. Et la soupe ! Il faut bien un peu de msytère dans la vie, n’est-ce pas ? ;)

6. What a terrific post to coincide with my urge to (spring) clean and declutter! Like Supermodel, I also find myself drawn right now to citrus colors, those and my old stand-by, sky blue.

Your mention of painting a wall red reminds me of an episode of SATC when Mr. Big paints the wall behind his bed red. Symbolic of so much about that man, non?

• BigLittleWolf says:

Good one, Kristen. I do indeed remember that episode… How is it that SATC is such a touchstone for so much of our female experience? Even our own versions of a Mr. Big, or a red wall?

7. I LOVE red! I have a fantasy, after the kids are grown and out of the house, of moving to a 1000-square foot Dwell-type dwelling with three sticks of furniture and one red accent wall. We have WAY too much stuff. And about the overflow of books…I keep meaning to get one of those book towers, where you stack them on top of each other so they look like they’re floating.

8. Some time ago I was finding I had a real itch to be more creative, but I found myself just making a lot of messes and clutter that got in my way a lot, especially when I wanted to do some sewing I could just pick up and put down quickly. My creative urges were interfering with my housekeeping routines (I can say silly things like that over here, not on my blog where Bill would read it and howl with laughter) and I found myself reverting to the old feeling of being pulled – always feeling I needed to be doing something other than what I was. Somewhere I stumbled across the phrase ‘Creating Order’ and that really helped me to clear out some stuff and re-organise to make things a bit more serene. It helped a lot to think of my clearing out clutter as a form of creativity just as much as using things to make something else. In fact, I’ve read that creativity can be defined as finding new ways to solve problems. Hope you find ways to enhance your space – and I do love red, too!

• BigLittleWolf says:

Shelly, I’m curious what you do about those objects for which you are the unofficial family “caretaker.” Things passed down by a parent, a grandparent. I find some of these objects to take up much needed space, and yet shedding them feels like it’s breaking some unwritten familial rule.

(Anyone have any good ideas about this one?)

So glad to know another red lover, Shelly. And I like that idea of creating order.

9. Spring almost always brings me an urge to purge and organize, clean and spruce up around my place. I think green is my go-to color in decorating. I find it calming and invorating in varying hues and it connects me to nature and the woods where we love to hike.

I’m terrible at multitasking – terrible! Still, it’s necessary sometimes so I’ve learned to give myself little ‘brain breaks’ to refresh and regroup: brew some tea, walk outdoors, etc.

10. Your HBR link about doing one thing at a time lead me to this :

Then this :

– Replace the goal with one that does work for you. To keep yourself moving forward and feeling satisfied with your choice, give some thought to what you will do instead. If you just don’t have the time to write a 600-page novel, is there some other way you could express your thoughts and creativity that you do have time for, like blogging?

Priceless, non?
    Happy renovation.

• BigLittleWolf says:

Thank you for the link, Alain. I’ve read some things by Dr. Halvorsen. She always makes sense to me. (So what about a 200-page novella? ;))

11. I think you hint at something really important here: sometimes the tangible has a huge impact on the intangible. When we like what we see, and find ourselves motivated and inspired by it, we are so much more likely to do good work and feel good about it when we are in that space.

• BigLittleWolf says:

I truly believe our physical environments influence us enormously. For some it may be colors. For others it’s organization. For some, a sense of spaciousness, pleasing objects, inspirational objects. I agree with you, Gale. We do indeed perform better in spaces that feel good.

12. In the room where I write, I go for green. Reminds me of money.

13. This post comes at the right time for me. I love spring cleaning. For me, that means going through each room, drawer, closet and purging. It is time consuming, but it is completely worth it. As for the overflow in books, we donate to the library.

I’ve always been drawn to dark blue hues, but a rusty maroon is fabulous too.